Thursday, October 27, 2011

This & That

NOTE: I wrote this post yesterday, but due to internet complications I'm posting it today

The snow is blowing, the wind is howling and the dogs are fed. Good day to stay inside, pop in a movie and work on fixing torn, chewed, and broken harnesses from last year's season of mushing.



A few photo updates:

Middy finished the puppy pen the other day.
The pups think they are being tortured.



Another difference in sled dog care in the village opposed to the road system is the availability of straw for the dogs to lay on and keep warm in the winter. Middy will be shipping some bales of straw out, but it's very expensive to purchase straw and ship here in Alaska.
So instead of using straw the entire winter, we supplement by going out and collecting grasses that are just like straw:


These guys keep me company and entertained (when they're not messing up my freshly cut piles of grasses) while I work.


I took Kiana for a sunset run on the beach a couple nights ago. Although she will not get within a 5 foot radius of my 4-wheeler, she loves running along with me. 
I clocked her at 30 mph while she was chasing a raven; I was impressed.




As you can see from the photos, the snow has fallen and most importantly: is sticking around!


No comments:

Post a Comment